Sunday, September 26, 2010

[Review] Capital Ridge [Treasurehunt2010] by Hello

Image

Every review I write comes from the heart. I thoroughly enjoy each and every level I write about for various reasons. Some make an excellent leaderboard challenge. Some have an awesome new concept. Some are just fun in general. Yet despite how much I love the levels I write about, there are only a select few that really blow me away in one way or another. There’s really no definition for what does this and what doesn’t, but tonight I was lucky enough to stumble upon one of my new favorite levels, Capital Ridge by Hello.

It was love at first sight with this one. To begin, let me say that Hello has made the best use of the new blocks since their initial release. Every angle of this level seems to be flawlessly designed, forming what appears to be a very natural level. These rough edges are decorated with patches of grass, bushes, trees, and various structures that give Capital Ridge a very interesting atmosphere. Torches add to the effect, casting a warm glow over various areas of the level, almost enough to make you feel the heat coming from their flames.

Treasurehunt10 brought quite a few of levels where the goal was to collect as much treasure as possible within a time limit. Hello has been generous enough to give us a whole hour to search the ridge, hunting for treasure in every corner. You’ll really have to keep an eye out for the secrets in this level. Hello has hidden some very rewarding caches in some incredibly sneaky places, hidden by carefully placed bushes and discreet holes in the wall. The only requirement for ending the level is collecting 20,000 points and touching the finish flags. On my first run, I managed to reach the flag with 19,000 points and had to backtrack a bit to find the pieces I was missing.

Of course, as with any good treasure level, there’s much more than 20,000 points to keep you going. It will take a true treasure hunter to dig around enough to find the hidden treasure holes spread everywhere. One aspect of the level that had me puzzled (and of course I intend on solving this mystery) is the collection of treasure chests you’ll see as you go through the level. Many of them appear locked, but because I failed to find a key despite how much I looked, I’m left to guess that they’re either activated by triggers or simply there for decoration. Somehow I seriously doubt the latter.

So Hello, you have earned a tremendous amount of respect from me for this lovely level of yours. We haven’t received the Treasurehunt10 results yet, but I wish you nothing but the best of luck. This is truly an Atmosphir masterpiece, and my hat goes off to you for it. I can only eagerly await your next creation. I hope I once again have to pleasure to review your levels.

Side Note: The screenshot above truly does not do this level justice. I encourage you to see the sights for yourself to get the full effect.

Review by Colinnn.

No comments:

Post a Comment