Friday, September 24, 2010

[Review] Frozen by Creator7

Image The first day of autumn was not too long ago, and already the effects can be felt here in the state of Iowa. Only this morning, I was sitting outside waiting for the rest of my group to arrive for our field trip. There were some fierce winds, and I shivered in the morning air whipping against my face. Soon enough, autumn will be gone and winter will grasp us with its icy fingers.

As it turns out, I was in a similar situation nearly a year ago. It was -1 degrees in Iowa, and I was sitting at my computer playing Atmosphir. I needed to find a level for my weekly review as a member of the Editorial Staff. In the spirit of the season, Creator7 created a level named Iced. The level took place in an icy hole in the ground, with the player struggling to break free and survive the cold. Interested, I played through the level and absolutely loved it.

Now I’m sitting here in September, still shivering at the thought of the morning’s cold winds. I knew Creator7 was hard at work with another level in design mode, but I hadn’t thought about it too much. As I was surfing the play browser, I stumbled upon his creation. Memories of Iced returned to mind as I began Frozen, the latest level by Creator7 and the sequel to his award-winning level nearly a year ago.

Frozen follows the same concept as Iced. The player begins as the lower end of the level and is expected to climb higher and higher. The atmosphere is a little different this time around; instead of being enclosed area, you will be navigating floating chunks of ice. It’s not as simple as jumping, of course. Clever uses of the spiked owl trap and various other hazards require the player to time their moves carefully and stay out of harm’s way. An extremely low jump value makes it difficult to maneuver, forcing you to use the ladders and ledges provided to you.

Frozen revives some of the old tricks used in Iced, but it also brings some concepts that are unique to the series, making use of Atmosphir’s newest features, such as moving while hanging and the rotation of the owl traps. These new additions, though admittedly small, are used wonderfully by Creator7.

As of yet, I have not completed this challenge. I’ve come close several times, but there are definitely obstacles I need to perfect. If you’re feeling skeptical, don’t worry; this level is easy when compared to a Biznatch level, but it will definitely cost you a few, if not all, of your lives. At the time of writing, there hasn’t been a victory on this level. I talked to Creator7, who assures me it’s definitely possible, though he’s considering fixing a few things up in the level. As with any level, there’s always room for improvement, and I don’t doubt that Creator7 will manage to make Frozen better than ever before.

So I take my hat off to you, Creator7. I had the honor and pleasure of reviewing Iced, and now I find myself saying the same things about your newest creation. Your levels are definitely enjoyable, and I look forward to your next appearance in the play browser.

Review by Colinnn.

No comments:

Post a Comment